Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Help selecting a good hunting knife?

I want to buy a top of the line hunting knife as a gift for someone who is very special to me. The problem is that I know nothing about hunting or knives. She hunts elk and deer and does her own butchering. Any advice? Thanks!Help selecting a good hunting knife?
I would go with a fill size knife. I would look at the K-Bar they have it any sports store Gander mountain, cabellas. It will run you about $70. I would also reccomend the gerber mark II knife at gander mountain. I have never had that one but my best folding knifes were all gerber grand great knife especially for what she would be using it for. You can get it serrated or not.Help selecting a good hunting knife?
You should definitely take a look at the Bark River Gameskeeper and Gameskeeper II series knives. They are alittle more spendy than chain store knives, but you are going to get a premium blade steel and a premium handle material like exotic wood or micarta instead of nylon or rubber or something.





You mentioned ';top of the line'; and ';she hunts elk and deer'; so those would be a great fit.





http://www.rockynational.com/6078_BA321W鈥?/a>





http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/deluxe鈥?/a> for more info on the knife line.
Actually I think that this person would be best off with a fixed blade knife with a gut hook. It will do the job in the field, including quartering the animal. The gut hook is nice because it can make the job of gutting a whole lot easier, not to mention faster. If she does her own butchering then she already has the boning knife, so a good fixed blade knife is ideal.
I like Buck brand knives.Buck has a large assortment of hunting I don't hunt elk so I am not sure what kind she would like. You should ask other elk hunters in your area what they prefer so you can get a good idea of the stile you are looking for and I am sure Buck will have a knife that meets your needs.
my thought would be a large knife, not a little folding one. one that has a case that goes on a belt. one that is half normal, ya know like a straight blade. and half serrated (little ridges on it). but just go to ***** sporting goods or walmart and ask for a hunting knife. i got mine at lowes, but its just a little buck knife.
I prefer SOG %26amp; Gerber knives, but buying one for another person is not generally a good idea as a knife is a very subjective item. What looks or feels good to one person may not to another. A gift cert to Cabela's or such would be a better idea IMHO.
http://yourcornerstore.com/index.php?mai鈥?/a>





Use Nutnfancy for discount.





For skinning and butcher you usually need 3 different knives of different sizes but,this one is good...for the hard parts.
Cabelas has a great selection of knives check out their website or store. Just a personal preference i wouldn't buy a folding knife try and get one with a sheath, much nicer in my opinion.
Get her a butchering kit by outdoor edge. It has a large assortment of knives. A great set!

No comments:

Post a Comment